Besides being aesthetically appealing, the main door/entrance of a house also has to be in the correct direction, as per Vastu Shastra, to attract positive energy into the house
According to Vastu Shastra, the main door of a home is not only the entry point for the family but also for energy. “The main door is a transition zone, through which we enter the house, from the outer world. It is a place from where happiness and good luck enters the home,” says Mumbai-based Vastu consultant, Nitien Parmar. “Consequently, the main entrance has been accorded prime importance, as it lets in or keeps out the cosmic energy flow that promotes health, wealth and harmony. Moreover, the main door also creates the first impression of a house,” he points out.
Direction of the main door
“The main door should always be in the north, north-east, east, or west, as they are considered auspicious. Avoid having the main door in the south, south-west, north-west (north side), or south-east (east side) directions. A door in the south or south-west, can be corrected by using a lead metal pyramid and lead helix. A door in the north-west can be corrected, with a brass pyramid and a brass helix, while a door in the south-east direction can be corrected, by using a copper helix,” suggests Parmar.
The main door should be bigger than any other door in the house and should open in a clockwise manner. Avoid having three doors in a line, parallel to the main door, as this is considered as a serious Vastu defect and can affect the happiness in the home.
Materials used for the main door:
Try and create an appealing harmony of colours, or a soothing interplay of contrast, for the walls and furnishings. Shades of green, purple, baby pink, etc., have a calming effect and these colours add style to one’s bedroom. The only private space in the house, other than the bathroom, is the bedroom. “The size of the bed should always be as large as the space will allow. Ideally, opt for a king-size or queen-size bed, with a comfortable, good quality mattress and throw cushions. Bedside tables on either side of the bed, with ample space for a lamp and keeping laptops, books, etc., is a must. This will create an inviting atmosphere, where one can unwind alone, while still enjoying your partner’s company,” adds Gupta.
- A wooden door is considered most auspicious for the main entrance.
- South direction: the door should have a combination of wood and metal.
- West: should have metal work.
- Northern door: should have more of silver colour.
- East: should be made of wood and adorned with limited metal accessories.
Decorating the area around the main door
A clean house, especially the main entrance, attracts positive energy. Do not keep dustbins, broken chairs or stools, near the main door, cautions Kajaal Rohira, a holistic healer from Mumbai. “The area surrounding the main door, should have adequate light. Never place a mirror opposite to main entrance, which reflects the main door, as it will cause the energy to bounce back,” says Rohira. Tanya Sinha, a homemaker from Delhi, rejected almost a dozen flats, as the main entrance of the house was not according to Vastu Shastra, before buying a home with an entrance in the east. “The main door of my house has been artistically designed, with a matte gold finish. It has a carved swastika design and a gold-coloured name plate on it. The main entrance exudes a warm welcome and I have also placed a lovely yellow lamp at the entrance,” she explains. The main door should always have a threshold, (marble or wood), as it is believed that it absorbs negative vibes and allows only positive energy to pass through. Decorate the main door with divine symbols like, Om, swastika, cross, etc., and put rangolis on the floor, as they are considered auspicious and invite good fortune.
Vastu dos and don’ts for the main door
- Always have a bright light at the entrance but avoid red lights. The main door should be well-lit in the evening.
- Never place a mirror opposite the main door.
- Decorate the entrance with green plants, if there is space.
- The main door should open at 90 degrees, without any obstacles in the way.
- Ensure that the hinges are oiled regularly and door accessories are polished. There should not be any broken or chipped wood, or missing screws at the entrance. Extra nails must be removed.
- Always put up a name plate. A metal name plate is recommended, if the door is in the north or west direction. Use a wooden name plate, if the door is in the south or east direction.
To Know More about Under construction Properties in Thane Visit CREDAI MCHI Thane Unit